Challenges and opportunities of cloud migration
The second part of our annual CIO report continues to give a comprehensive analysis of the latest trends and insights surrounding the drivers and barriers to the adoption of cloud computing in 2017.
Download the report:
71% of CIOs see the process of modernising business apps as slowing their cloud journey
The report, independently conducted with 200 UK CIOs, reveals just why so many enterprises are planning to migrate their apps to the cloud in 2017. It also uncovers the main challenges and barriers to doing so, in a bid to better prepare enterprise CIOs of the potential pitfalls that might lie ahead. For all the undoubted benefits to the IT function and the wider business, cloud app migration remains a resource-intensive task requiring highly skilled practitioners.
The key highlights of the research are:
- The vast majority of UK IT decision makers are looking to migrate their on-premise apps to either IaaS, PaaS or SaaS clouds
- IT cost savings, scalability and the ability to deliver projects quickly are amongst the top drivers for migration of business applications to the cloud
- Application modernisation is slowing cloud migration with organisations lacking in-skills or bandwidth to make their application environment ‘fit for the cloud’
- There is a lack of clarity on the best migration path to cloud and the impact on licensing agreements
- Data sovereignty is a large concern when migrating applications to the cloud for CIOs